How common are eye diseases?
Zebrafish and eye disease research
- High reproductive rate (i.e. obtained hundreds of embryos per day).
- Easy scalability for Hight Content Screenings.
- Fast organogenesis, being all organs functional at 5 days post-fertilization, including the nervous system.
- The possibility of using larvae animals, which presents fewer ethical concerns, and is in coherence with the 3Rs principles to reduce the amount and the suffering of laboratory animals.
- Transparency in the larval stage, allowing easier visual studies and good in vivo evaluations.