Background on the Cosmetics industry
Regulations governing Cosmetics industry
The use of Zebrafish for toxicity and efficacy assays in the Cosmetic industry
This small-scale fish has countless properties that make it ideal to be used use in preclinical assays of cosmetics:
- Zebrafish are genetically similar to humans, sharing 72% of their protein-coding genes. Furthermore, 84% of human disease genes have a zebrafish equivalent.
- During the larval phase, zebrafish are transparent, enabling direct observation of the effects of chemical to the internal organs.
- Zebrafish possess excellent regenerative capabilities, having demonstrated a capacity to regenerate their tail fins, hearts, central nervous system, and photoreceptors. Assays observing the effects of certain ingredients with regard to this capacity may prove useful within the context of preclinical assays for cosmetics; skin cell regeneration has been a point of focus within the field of cosmetic research for quite some time.
- Zebrafish embryos present fast organogenesis with a high organ development within 5 days post-fertilization (dpf). This allows the use of zebrafish larvae in numerous toxicity and efficacy assays.
- The small size of the zebrafish embryos (a few millimeters) and adults (a few centimeters) enables easy housing and even the implementation of High-Content Screening (HCS) assays with larvae.
Alluring to these advantages of this model Biobide has developed a pipeline of services during the last 18 years applicable to the cosmetic industry, taking into account the limitations that the cosmetic industry regulations impose. Thus, Biobide has developed a variety of HCS assays for toxicity including Acutetox Assay, Neurotox Assay, Teratotox Assay, Hepatotox Assays or Immunotox Assay, or Environmental toxicity Assays, among others. Also, specific efficacy assays are offered as the Regeneration Assay, the Melanin Quantification Assay, or the Antioxidant Assay. Besides, Biobide is able to offer tailor-made solutions to adapt the capacities of the company to clients’ specific needs.